switching to Fedora Core - Addendum
Well, the "switch" to Linux, I finally dropped and I returned to Windows XP Pro, since I've been involved with FC would have solved more problems than this. The applications played a not such a big role, because with Open Office, Firefox and Thunderbird the best subjects for 90% of all tools are good quality ones available on Linux.
The devil lies rather in detail, it is the small but annoying things that made me finally go back to Windows:
Updating via update function works in principle, but often result in that package versions are no longer fit together, and thus manually - need to be adjusted - consuming. Most infuriating of all, this is for Linux kernel updates, since many software packages depend on the kernel release version and patch do not run after the update to the kernel. This was with me in particular, the NTFS kernel module, which might be compiled manually module for VMWare (see below) and the extremely bitchy ATI graphics driver after every small kernel update could not run and his disabled 3D acceleration.
The fax was thick but I finally after a kernel update because of changes in lvm Subsystem no longer recognized boards and refused to boot. The last kernel still booted, but the system did not come up because were previously installed updates for the anticipated new kernel version.
IMHO, this is (as of end 2006) is not really suitable for end users, since most users feel like you have an automatic system maintenance due to repair zerhobeltes Linux.
The performance of Linux / X11 / Gnome was in direct comparison with Windows is not on the same hardware convincing. Even the configuration of the binary driver for the ATI 9600Pro's performance was subjectively worse than under Win XP. Sure
's wrong on the merits so that the hardware manufacturer the development of drivers operate primarily for Windows and the Linux implementation is done by dedicated volunteers. I feel as if the user zunächstmal but no matter.
Again, I must say that we are talking about the state in late 2006. I will venture this week a new Linux start until distributions are done with KDE 4.0.
0 comments:
Post a Comment